Sunday, June 05, 2005

bus rides

i am an urban commuter. and with all the smoke and smog and traffic of the metro, i am proud tosay that i am an urban commuter who actually enjoys being one.

it was raining cats and dogs tonight (elephants and rhinoceros would be more like it since the
heavens were practically pouring). and there i was, the loyal commuter who was trying to get a
ride somewhere near GMA-Kamuning.

H2O everywhere. I was practically drenched down to my soul. headlights blinding. horns blaring.
shoes soaked til the socks clung to my ankles. puddles of brackish liquid have puddled on the
road and some drops splash unto me when a vehicle passes by really fast...and guess what?
i was enjoying every bit of second of it.

why?
because i love commuting.
what?

i do. it gives me a sense of freedom. it allows me to let my thoughts roam free while watching
everything and everyone else pass by. commuting allows me to go from one place to another without really doing anything about it. i just sit there. pay my fare. and not have a care in the world.

i know most people would find me weird. a lot of my friends would be choosing to drive their cars
instead of commuting. i don't conform. i know of a person who actually goes on long bus
rides along EDSA whenever he feels the compulsion to write. he is a well-known screenwriter. he claims he gets inspired by watching buses and cars passing him by. so i guess im not too weird after all huh?

speaking of buses now kinda' reminds me of a song i really liked when i was in college.

"so i got under a bus. i got hit by a
train..la-di-dah-didah..it felt so good. i wanna do
it again."

i used to sing it real out loud when i had fights with my mom before. i don't fight with my mom anymore. not so much anyway. they say there's always a point in one's life when we fight so much with our parents. maybe its part of growing. now i've grown-up. or have i?
maybe.

i could go on and on telling you things i've done and places i've been to. if growing can be measured by that, then i could indeed say that i'm a grown-up already. i've been to many places in this lifetime. and long as i can remember, i've been riding buses all my life. i guess as i continue to grow and go places, i'll never stop being a commuter.

and come rain, hell or high waters and busy streets, i don't think i'll ever get tired of life's bus rides.

No comments: