Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Love 101

I've been listening to a friend's sentiments lately. Well, perhaps not really a friend, but a mentor whom I've come to know more and more in the last couple of months or so. This friend-mentor has been having some sort of personal a.k.a. love problems and I found myself to be at the listening end, not unlike most of the times that he has been "teaching" me the ways and means of our own little "corporate world".

And so of course since these are his sentiments, I am not at liberty to divulge anything. I was, and I am, just listening. Always listening.

During one of our "listening conversations", I came to stumble upon this odd reality that while I was there trying to understand what he was saying, my mind was somewhere else. Somewhere between trying to make sense of his words and perhaps trying to make sense of my own thoughts too.

So lost I was in our jargon of thoughts and words when I heard myself asking, "Why, just how young is she?" And perhaps he said, "About twenty-ish." Not too young. But not old enough either, I said to myself.

What is this thing about age and maturity that seem to nag me from within? If I don't get answers soon, I might just try to turn myself inside-out to see perhaps if I could get the answers then. Yeah, what is this age and maturity? And love?

Ah, love. So you see, it was after all about this eternal topic called love. Yeech. Who would've thougth I'd be writing something like this at a point in my life where I'm still just trying to pick the pieces back up. Yeech. Talk about eternal masochism too.

Does age really matter? No. Maturity? No. Lies! Love moves-in mysterious ways? Cut that crap please..As my conscience would put it, "No Jennifer, mystery is one fool's fragment of stupid imagination".

Had I not stopped myself, I would have told my friend-mentor right away that it was almost too difficult to bridge a gap that will always be there. And I am not talking about age here. None too shallow like that. Age is just the sign. Maturity is the upshot. And if at this fundamental stage, two people don't or can't catch up with each other and would still try to wrap things up, then they've got themselves entwined with life's masochisms.

So. Am I trying to know anything and everything about love here then? Nah..I'm no expert. Who is? But perhaps I just wanted to let my friend know that I listened.

I listened well enough that I began to see my life's sentiments through his words. But perhaps I also listened a little too much that I forgot to speak up and say, "I've been there, has just been there. You may want to save yourself the effort..."

No comments: