Thursday, December 29, 2005

How I Spent Christmas

And so it was Christmas. I took a leave from the Metro to go home for the last time this year. 3 nights, 4 days. Quite enough time to spend the Holiday Season peacefully with the people most special to me. Not too short to miss out so much, and not too long for me and my mom to start killing driving each other nuts.

A week before I was set to go home, I was feeling all giddy and Christmas-sy. A month before that, I was already done with all my Christmas shopping. A couple of days before I was set to go, I had all my gifts packed in a box 2 big boxes and sent them to my folks already. So see, I was all ready and roaring to go spend my 2005 Holidays to the ol' provencal Ilocos where my folks live up to this day.

First Night - I got home on the eve of the 24th. I was expecting a nice, cozy, warm dinner with close family members, then perhaps another round of devouring (ahihi, devour talaga, antakaw!) the leftovers after attending the midnight mass. Surpise, surprise...
For the life of me, I don't know where my mother picks up old, obscure relatives who just pop out of nowhere. Yeah, yeah, its Christmas-time for givin-time for sharin- all that crap, but jeez...who the heck are these people? Excuse me, you're seating on my seat at the dining table. Excuse me, you're drinking from my wineglass. Excuse me, you stepped on my toe. FREAKIN EXCUSE ME, YOU ARE FREAKIN TAKING UP MY SPACE. And oh, Merry Christmas, by the way.
Now, don't get me wrong. I love my relatives. Those that I'm familiar with, at least. But for those who can't get pass through saying, "Ang taba mo ngayon ha." and "Kumusta ang studies?" I have 2 answers dear remote relatives: 1st - You haven't seen me for years. What's your basis for comparison? When was I ever thinner to you?" 2nd - "I've graduated eons ago..duh!" Naman, naman!
By the time our home was left with my "familiar" relatives, we were all too tired to go to mass already. We decided to attend the next morning instead. We were so mighty tired that night that all we did to cap the night off was to play monopoly. I know, it sounds pretty juvenile, but I'm proud to say it's one of my family's favorite pastimes (parents included).
Here's papa and tita Sheng with Meng giving out "emergency gifts" to the "emergency relatives"

2nd day - Pleasant surprises.
Arvi, an old friend came by and we spent half a day catching up on each other's lives. It was a pretty lazy day, with the first part of the morning spent on playing monopoloy. The whole family attended mass in the afternoon. We had dinner out. Before we slept for the night, we had another round at monopoloy. Now I don't know the real deal between monopoly and the Trinidad kids but I think this is a game that we have never really outgrown. My brother, who is the youngest in the family is already in college. My folks are in their early fifties. Moi, is about a couple of years from my tridecade anniversary. But when we play monopoly, you'd think all of us are kids again.


Here's Con dealing out some moolah. Look how serious we
all are. You'd think we were holding authentic cuartas huh?








And here's papa and mama trying to
outsmart their kids. Ma dreadfully lost
this round by the way. As ever, tapunan
naman siya ng tukso. :)




3rd day- I got sick. It was the sickest I've felt the entire year and it just got me so frustrated co'z I had so many things set to do.I was supposed to meet up with Arvi and another old friend, Ramil to try out some of the local bars. At the same time, I was supposed to have lunch at Tata's (grandpa's) house. And of course, there was the usual monopoly to drain me of energy. But as it was, I barely got up from bed. I gave it my best shot to go to Tata's house though. I am rarely ever home and kinda' miss my older folks.

At Tata's House (left-right standing): Mama, moi, lula Samma, Mai, (keft-right sitting): tita Sheng, Tata, Meng, and the 2 kids are Janna (with the tongue) and Nikka.

4th day - I didn't go out at all. My temp's mighty high and I just spent the whole day marathoning James Bond movies with Macky. That night, I had a trip booked for Manila. So much for temporary hiatus. My 4 days and 3 nights are up. I was feeling all shitty inside because of me fever, but I felt good inside. I needed this vacation. If only for once a year, I get to be sane again, if only for once a year, I get to spend quality with my family again - all for the price of getting sick, damn, gimme sickness once a month. I love this. I feel warm and fuzzy and woozy and whatever. I feel loved and I feel blessed. Haha, I'm babbling. Who cares? Merry Christmas everyone. (and that includes ALL relatives too!) - in the spirit of giving and sharing, I have decided to ignore that you only show up during the "giving" season.

3 comments:

mayumi said...

at least u had sometime with them and u spent christmas dinner with them... me?? i slept throughopuit the program et al...
well.. all swells ends well.. hopefully....

jing mah jing....
cant wait for our baguio trip...

that will be the longest and funniest and "maartest" ha gumawa ng word... blog na ilalagay mo... hahaha
PLEASE....

muah
cya soon... happy birthday tom!

siyoktong said...

me too mayunes. im so looking forward to the baguio trip. di pwedeng di yun matuloy...and thank you, kaw unang bumati sa kin sa birthday ko! mwah!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice nice entry again... hehehe! I am always fond of reading yer blogs hehehe... klaya kahit queueing go read pa rin habang powercycling... Hahaha!

Belated Happy Birdee...

~Lance~